Thread: 37 degree flared tube fitting compatability/interchang: Military and JIC (commercial)

Associate Engineer

37 degree flared tube fitting compatability/interchang: Military and JIC (commercial)

Many commercial 37 degree flared tube fittings are available that meet SAE J514 standards and fit SAE J1926-1 straight thread ports. How are these fittings compatible with tube fittings that meet SAE AS4395 and fit AS5202 straight thread ports (for example SAE AS5174, union.) I know that the threads are class 3 on the AS4395 fittings and class 2 on the J514 fittings.

Are the JIC commercial fittings compatible / interchangeable with the military / aircraft fittings meeting AS4395?

Associate Engineer
    Ok actually I remember researching this a while back so I had to look into it again. The Military AN fitting is basically the same as the JIC, they could be used together however the difference is how much weaker the JIC fitting is. I didn't look into the specs you specifically listed it just depends on your use. The weakness comes from the difference in the root of the thread.
    Last edited by zaccutt; 02-04-2015 at 10:37 PM.