Thread: Welding Certifications

Engineer

Welding Certifications

Are there specific welding certifications needed for government/military contractors? I am working on a government/military contract and need to know if my welders need any specific certifications.

Thank you,

John

This would depend on the end item deliver-ables based on contractual requirements. If you’re building an office chair - not likely, however anything end item where a weld or structural failure would result in loss of life, investment or other litigable issue.

For example, Aircraft, Bridges, cranes, Nuclear power plant, chemical piping and other products would require certified welders as well as certified weld inspection.

You should fully understand the end-item contractual requirements before proceeding.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 01-22-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Engineer
    Thanks Kelly.

We are building flight simulators for the military, so I assume I will need certifications.

Are there any specific certifications that a military contract would expect.

Thank you.

Associate Engineer
    American Welding Society specification AWS D17.1/D17.1M, Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kerns View Post
    American Welding Society specification AWS D17.1/D17.1M, Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications.
    These are simulators. They will not be leaving the ground.

Thank you,

John

I think all you need to consider for costing is that the welders are experienced, AWS certified or equivalent and that critical material applications invoke trace-ability.

In my opinion you are asking the wrong people. Imagine your embarrassment (and possibly much worse) when you try to explain to a government inspector or to your customer, to whom you are bound by contract to fulfill certain specific requirements, "Well gee, these guys on this forum said I did (or didn't need) certifications." Not to be too much of an a__hole about it, but if I were your customer and you told me that I would say "Well let those guys on that forum pay you!" Get my drift? Go directly to the final source - the person you have a contractual requirement to satisfy.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    In my opinion you are asking the wrong people. Imagine your embarrassment (and possibly much worse) when you try to explain to a government inspector or to your customer, to whom you are bound by contract to fulfill certain specific requirements, "Well gee, these guys on this forum said I did (or didn't need) certifications." Not to be too much of an a__hole about it, but if I were your customer and you told me that I would say "Well let those guys on that forum pay you!" Get my drift? Go directly to the final source - the person you have a contractual requirement to satisfy.

Thank you for stating the obvious. The forum is a resource, not the final determination.

The contract states nothing to the fact. However, MIL-HDBK 454, has info that is vague. this is what we adhere to. i wanted specifics.

thank you.

Senior Engineer
    This is a appropriate idea about welding certification. Clear and fine information.
    Thanks