Thread: What is this latch or lock called?

Associate Engineer

What is this latch or lock called?

Hi guys, new to the forums here, so hello!

I'm so stuck right now trying to think of the name of this type of latch. I spent hours googling this but the closest I could get is compression latch which isn't right at all.

I know I have actually used this type before so I'm sure someone will have ideas.

I made a rough sketch. Basically it's a half cup shape that is rotated 180 deg using a lever. In the closed position the cup wedges against the mating boss therefore capturing it in all directions of movement.

at first I thought like air craft or machine panels or doors but there's nothing on Google.

Ideas?

Associate Engineer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 02-05-2015 at 07:17 AM.

check southco.com or McMaster.com.

Associate Engineer
    Yeah McMaster is my go to but there's nothing on there. I searched through all of southco but didn't see anything.

Still looking.

A latch is a type of mechanical fastener thatis used to join two or more objects or surfaces together while allowing for theregular or eventual separation of the objects or surfaces. A latch typicallyengages another piece of hardware on the other mounting surface. Depending uponthe type and design of the latch, this engaged bit of hardware. Latches rangein complexity from flexible one-piece flat springs of metal or plastic, such asare used to keep blow molded plastic power tool cases closed, to multi-pointcammed latches used to keep large doors closed.

Associate Engineer
    A latch is a type of mechanical fastener that is used to join two or more objects or surfaces together while allowing for the regular or eventual separation of the objects or surfaces. A latch typically engages another piece of hardware on the other mounting surface.
    Common types of latches:
    1.Dead bolt latch
    2.Spring latch
    3.Cam latch
    4.Norfolk latch
    5.Suffolk latch etc.

Engineer
    Something like this?

Attached Images Attached Images