Thread: Freshman engineer computer requirements

Associate Engineer

Freshman engineer computer requirements

So I am a freshman in college looking to be an engineer and i have some questions on computer requirements.

I currently have a Macbook Pro and I like it very much so first question is could I just keep it and do just about everything I need on it without much problem. Would bootcamp or parallels be needed at some point and would that remedy any existing problems? Or would buying a windows based computer be the best solution by far?

A third option I heard a little about was buying an inexpensive chromebook (Asus?) and installing Linux on it I believe. Does anyone have any experience with this or have reasons why it wouldn't work or why it would be fine for things that my mac just couldn't do. Would buying a tablet that is windows based be a viable option with a keyboard and mouse attachment? (I know it would have to be a pretty good size)

Thank you for any and all insight!

Associate Engineer
    Are you doing a CAD based program? Personally I have never seen people do CAD on a Mac.

For CAD programs you want dedicated video ram. This is common in gaming computers. The last one I bought had 512 MB about 6 years ago. I would bet they all have at least that now but the more you have the better.

Associate Engineer
    From a saving money standpoint, it would probably be wise to keep your Macbook Pro for the time being until you reach the limitations of the machine. From my experience, you probably won't as a student. Modern day computers have enough resources to be able to handle the types of assignments that you would likely get in class.

• CAD projects are moderate complexity at most (think about how many projects the professor/TA's will have to grade... An assembly will probably have at most 10-20 parts).
    • MATLAB and other mathmatical programs you will be using are more intensive on GPU's if you are doing research level simulations, but for the dynamics problem you are modeling from your textbook (which is designed to be done with a simple calculator), you won't be waiting more than a few seconds. The most intensive thing you will likely do with a math software is differential equations, even then, at a classroom complexity should be solved in under a minute.
    • A macbook pro is technically a "workstation laptop" (or at least it is supposed to be the caliber of one) so you are already beefed up in the right areas when it comes to hardware.
    • A proper "workstation" will run you back a couple grand... Way overkill for something you probably don't need and will be obsolete by the time you do need one.
    • Statistically speaking, there's a chance that you won't complete the engineering curriculum *knocks on wood*... and workstation computers don't have a very good resale value.
    • Any school that has a halfway decent engineering program will have at least 1 computer lab availble to you to use an adequite computer. These softwares are very expensive and you won't be expected to buy them.

CAD programs typically focus on processors and RAM. RAM very extensively. An SSD will help assemblies and complicated parts load faster but a HDD should suffice. Contrary to popular believe, you don't necessarily need any special GPU or video RAM. Modern day graphics cards should be ok if you don't want extensive detail. Want more detail, get a beefier graphics card (workstation, not gaming).

Math programs typically use the ALU on the GPU, but really only if you tell it to. Anything you do in school won't be intensive enough to NEED a GPU so again, you don't need anything special there.

Basically just max out your RAM.

Also, parallels is a waste of money. It is buggy and wastes RAM and processing power to run an operating system that you aren't using (if you are running a Windows program, why does OSX need to be running?) If you are going to install any windows program, just use bootcamp.

Also, you may not get the full processing power to run intensive programs with a tablet, but as a student they come in very handy when taking notes by hand. The notes you will be taking will be riddled with formulas and typing the notes isn't viable, so you either use a notebook and pencil or a tablet. Tablets are very useful for note taking but I got by just fine with pencil and paper.
    Last edited by auwardamn; 02-17-2015 at 02:35 PM.