Thread: Could this be made?

Associate Engineer

Could this be made?

Hello.

Thanks for the help in advance.

I powder coat bullets. to do so I have a tray that i set rows of bullets on to spray and bake. Soon ill have them each setting on a small nut which will lift them off the tray. this will give room for the powder to fall below the bullet and not "glue" the bullet to the tray.

Ill also be drilling some holes in plastic to drop the bullets in. Kind of a jig to use to easily place them and transport without them falling.

Here is my question. I would like to build a way to have a machine drop the bullets in. Obviously placing 200 bullets on a tray at a time is a bit time consuming. I can use a tool called Mr. Bullet to align the bullets nose up and drop them in a tube. but having them move from that tube and dropping onto the tray where it will fall into place is something I would have to build myself.

Any ideas?

(i wont be using tinfoil, drilling holes in between the nuts for extra powder to fall through.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Associate Engineer
    maybe a series of tubes and a lever to direct each new bullet to a new tube hole?
    Or a plate with holes and a under plate without holes, spinning opens various holes?

I would like to build a way to have a machine drop the bullets in.

If you have a little money, take a look at vibratory feeders. Off the shelf solution, will require some modifications however will be quick.

How much of the bullet do you need to powder coat? All, partial?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    [/COLOR]
    If you have a little money, take a look at vibratory feeders. Off the shelf solution, will require some modifications however will be quick.

How much of the bullet do you need to powder coat? All, partial?
    If you are shooting for full automation a bowl feeder would likely be the best way to align them all the same direction and in single file. You would still need a way to place them. I would probably use a robot for that but you would need a very healthy budget to afford this.

If you can handle the loading yourself then you could eliminate the bowl feeder and just use vibrating tracks. Bowl feeders are very finicky and are normally custom made to suit the part they are feeding so loading yourself would save a lot.

Not sure how you could escape the bullets though. That's a more interesting problem. You almost need the table that the nuts are on to index to an escapement point. So a track is stationary filled with bullets and each position indexes to this point, accepts a bullet and then moves to the next one.

Anyway you do it you will either end up with one or more of the following
    -a lot of moving parts
    -a lot of programming
    -a lot of possible jams

I think this would be better off as some sort of manual machine.

You could build something with tracks and slides so that you fill the tracks and then manually index to each row, drop down, release an entire row of bullets then raise up and move to the next row. Essentially remove the skill required to align all the bullets. This could easily be accomplished with McMaster parts and could probably be achieved for a couple thousand dollars or less.

What's the volume?