Thread: Are H2o2 contact tanks necessary??

Associate Engineer

Are H2o2 contact tanks necessary??

Good day.....I am in the final stages of prep before installing the equipment absolutely required for my residential well water H2o2 injection system. I have spoken to several (4) local "water professionals" here in Florida and a couple (2) from out of state regarding H202 injection systems for my requirement. I have been getting conflicting information concerning the "necessary equipment" absolutely needed for a properly functioning system.

My purpose for H2o2 use, remove 1.8ppm iron and live iron bacteria.... I currently have and will continue to use my softener for the 11gpg of hardness. The conflicting issue? The use of retention tanks for contact time.

Option #1 35% solution and no contact tank needed due to strength of solution.
    Option #2 7% solution and a contact tank is mandatory due to strength of solution.

Four (4) of the Six (6) contacts recommended Option #1 unequivocally , One (1) of the Four (4) mentioned an inline static mixer is used sometimes, but very rarely.
    The remaining Two (2) contacts "pushed' Option #2 using safety and more control as a primary concern.

In a previous life I spent many years working around caustic chemicals and I am keenly aware of the precautions needed in handling 35% H2o2. From the limited information available, both options will work... The Stenner pump, PCM, and 1 ppg water meter as well as a GAC backwash filter are in hand and ready...

Can anyone here put this to rest? Retention tank or not????????

Appreciate your opinions !!!! Facts are even better....

Regards,
    RTKBA
    Last edited by RTKBA; 02-24-2015 at 05:36 AM.

Associate Engineer
    Did you get an answer on the retention question? I also have an application with 7.0 ppm iron and manganese combined. My customer and I would prefer to use 29% H2O2 to oxidize. Disinfection would be a bonus. I'm in Canada, so ground water temperature is typically down to 45F. I'm thinking retention to ensure oxidization inmy cold water application. In my experience I have yet to see an application where too much retention is not desired, no matter what the oxidant and application. How much retention is my biggest question to calculate. Any comments would be beneficial.
    TK1