Thread: Load capacity of rectangular steel tubing

Associate Engineer

Load capacity of rectangular steel tubing

I need to build a hoist inside of a trailer capable of lifting 500lbs due to space I need to make this out of as small a tubing as possible. My question is how small of rectangular tubing can I get by with to lift 500 pound in the middle of a 100 inch span? I was hoping that 2x3 rectangular tubing with a .125 wall would be sufficient with out bending. Anybody have some math that'll support this? Also the two supporting posts 2x2 .125 wall be ok? Thanks so much any help is appreciated!

Associate Engineer
    Anyone,

I am making a giant xmas tree that I am building over an escalator. So it is a giant walkthrough tree. 30' x 20' tree on an 18' Dia. x 8' tall Base. The escalator is 12' wide approx. My question is: I need to find out the load capacity of 2" x 3" rectangle tubing because I want to use this in the base for the verticals. Can someone help with this? I have attached this drawing so you have an idea of what I am talking about. Its alittle hard to explain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a trivial or easy to volunteer for question. To answer your question correctly - somebody will need to spend many hours on this design

Hire somebody...
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.