Thread: New to GD&T - Please take a look at a drawing Ive done

Associate Engineer

New to GD&T - Please take a look at a drawing Ive done

I recently went through the ISO Geometrical Tolerancing course on this site, I have basic understanding of most of the terms but applying it to a real life scenario is a different ball game.

I've attached a drawing I did of a Sheet metal door for a vehicle tool locker, the door has a recessed T-Handle lock with 4 studs.

Id really appreciate it if someone could have a look and simply give it as much constructive criticism as possible, So I can see if i'm on the right lines and have actually grasped the subject at all. This particular scenario I couldn't find a obvious example of in the textbooks to follow.
    Attached Files Attached Files

First, you have attached datum anchors directly to center lines. This is a big no-do in all dimensioning and tolerance standards. Datum can only be established from physical or real features not proposed center lines. Even though it may be obvious where the feature is that one would establish the datum from we don’t ever attach datum anchors to center lines.

Items missing:

• You don’t specify size tolerances for some of the features of size.
    • Dimensioning and tolerancing standard is not specified (ASME Y14,5-2009 or ISO 1101-2009).
    • Material used

Below, is a quick marked up version of your drawing to my best guess of design intent.

Attached Images Attached Images

Associate Engineer
    Hi Kelly thanks for your reply, sorry I didn't reply sooner I thought I had this set to send me a email notification if someone responded but nothing came through.

I've done some further studying and re-worked the drawing, please let me know what you think.
    Some of the features of size do not have a specific size tolerance, they are controlled by the general tolerance near the title block, surely this is correct practice?

Many thanks, Eddie

drawing1.pdf

ELister, you really, really need to get a book on GD&T. The drawing you posted requires lots of markup on syntax and application.

I can't train you via this forum...