Thread: Torque Required for Servo Motors

Associate Engineer

Torque Required for Servo Motors

Hello everyone.

I've been dealing with lifting and rotating mechanisms for a while and just getting the right type of calculations to find the torque for the motors seems to be quite impossible without making it something really complex. Right on the next image I show in a very simplified way what I'm trying to achieve.

I wan to clarify something as well, the kind of problems listed below work under ideal conditions.

For the mechanism on the left: there is a weight=1kg over the elevator (which doesn't rotate about its axis), the elevator is moving upwards, the lead screw has a 10mm pitch with a 90% efficiency, the ratio between the gears is 1:1 and the continuous rotation servomotor has a torque= 5.1 kg-cm and a maximum speed of 54 RPM with no load. I wan to to know if this servo is able to lift this kind of weight.

For the mechanism on the right: there is a solid cylinder with a weight of 30kg and I want to rotate it about its axis with a continuous rotation servomotor, I want to know what would be the necessary torque in order to do this or if the previous servo is able to make this amount of weight to rotate.

I hope it is clear enough.
    Any suggestions or ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alvaro; 03-14-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Associate Engineer
    I have already gone trough many of the posts and formulas this forum has including that one, doesn't seem to have as much as I need from my perspective, but thanks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvaro View Post
    doesn't seem to have as much as I need from my perspective, but thanks anyways.
    Interesting, I'm guessing you did not use the search function on EE.

Screw Worm Gear Gear Axial Force Equation and Calculator
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-21-2015 at 12:32 PM.