Thread: Center Cross for Radius

Associate Engineer

Center Cross for Radius

Do you have to put the center cross symbol on all radius?

I have no idea what any official standards say about this but my own personal preference is to include symbology and annotation that enhances the purpose of the drawing, which in my opinion is complete, unambiguous, and simple communication. So, when there is a good reason to include a centermark (or tangent lines, or hidden lines, or any other symbol) include it. Otherwise, do not. I rarely show a hole without a centermark, but the only centermarks I include on radii are those needed for dimensional purposes. Also sometimes a centermark can clarify the shape of the object, like to make it clear that you are indeed looking at a cylindrical surface.

accentdesign, I'm assuming that you're using the ASME Y14.5-2009 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard.

Page 14, paragraphs 1.8.2 and 1.8.2.1 indicates that a center of radius symbol (small cross) is optional unless you need to use dimensions to locate the radius. If the radius is clearly tangent or otherwise located by geometry then a dimension and tolerance is not required nor a center cross.

Since the center symbol can be optional, I'm with jboggs on usage. You don't want to clutter an engineering drawing with not required symbols, etc..
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-18-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you all