Thread: My son

Associate Engineer

My son

My son has just completed 3 years of a four year course in product and design engineering and only now realises that completing this course will in itself not really fulfill his hands on expectations; and may limit him to a life in an office. I appreciate that if he had understood this earlier on he have been able to switch to a course which covered more of what he wanted as after three years although he would come out with a degree he has yet to try a lathe or milling machine, and most of the course work has been purely theoretical. He is only 20 years old so time is on his side and I would be happy to sponsor further study costs but I think he has had enough of university.
    What would you suggest his best course of action to be- given his age, and to not waste what he has achieved up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts View Post
    My son has just completed 3 years of a four year course in product and design engineering and only now realises that completing this course will in itself not really fulfill his hands on expectations; and may limit him to a life in an office. I appreciate that if he had understood this earlier on he have been able to switch to a course which covered more of what he wanted as after three years although he would come out with a degree he has yet to try a lathe or milling machine, and most of the course work has been purely theoretical. He is only 20 years old so time is on his side and I would be happy to sponsor further study costs but I think he has had enough of university.
    What would you suggest his best course of action to be- given his age, and to not waste what he has achieved up to now?
    He shouldn't have to waste what he has done so far....the posibilities are endless. I would tell my son to sit with his advisor and perhaps enroll in an intern program at a company...try it out. He may even get more hands-on experiences in his senior year.

Very good question! I understand his position, having actually been there myself. That was 30 years ago so I have some perspective.

First point - If your son can develop an attitude of ALWAYS learning, he will see that his education never really ends, and he will realize that is his most valuable asset.

Second point - DO NOT lament the time spent getting the knowledge and education he has received so far. It WILL be invaluable at the right time. He would regret not having it when he needs it. Also, this was the right time in his life to get that education. The rigors of complex new knowledge are more easily absorbed at an earlier age.

Third point - He has plenty of time to get the hands-on experience he wants.

A good engineer understands the theories, forces, geometries, and functional concepts behind the success or failure of his designs. He also understands the capabilities and limitations of the fabrication methods used to construct his designs. He understands both the engineering principles and the machine shop methods. A doctor of engineering that doesn't know a drill press from a boring mill will have difficulty producing something of value in the real world. On the other hand, a master machinist who doesn't understand how to analyze a free body diagram or doesn't understand kinematics is equally limited. The head knowledge and the hand knowledge are like paddles in a row boat - you need both to get anywhere. He has the beginnings of one. Now go get some of the other. (He will also see that his head knowledge will become stronger and clearer in the process of getting the hand knowledge.)

That's my two cents worth.

Associate Engineer
    All good points thank you both.

He has had sessions with a university adviser.

I know he is getting an interview tomorrow with a company that mainly deals in demolition which I know will be right up his street short term, but I worry that if he is successful there that could be the end of any further education excepting what he picks up on the job.
    He enrolled in university off his own back without any input from myself so it's not as if I'm pushing him, but I would like to think he makes the best of himself.

Technical Fellow
    I think you are worrying too much too soon. Let the kid roam a little. So far he has been in school that he had to attend then Uni that once started, he has the internal stamina for commitment to complete. A very good quality in itself regardless of the vocation path.

I remember when I was 20. As a somewhat unruly junior Citizen, my single-parent Mom pushed (ultimatum) me into an Apprenticeship or join the Army. I wisely chose the lesser of the two and became a Toolmaker. I later gravitated to the drawing office and began the next chapter as a draftsman for about six years. During that period I became aware of the sense in getting an Engineering degree. By age 35 I was one.

I then embarked on a career of short term (3 to 6 months max) Design Engineering projects for companies scattered around the World. I would work until the end of a contract then holiday until I ran out of money and get another job. Still very easy to do in the Oil and Mining **********.

I think I turned out OK.

So cut the kid some slack and worry about it when he is 35 and still tossing hamburgers trying to make up his mind what course he wants to follow in life, THEN interfere. In my humble opinion it is better to let him roam free and see what turns up.

If I were you, I would be more worried about him getting married before he is 35. Once married, the options reduce rapidly as financial commitments and family responsibilities take over his life. Not against marriage, just against early marriage.

Principle Engineer
    With all due respect, I think the decision to stop completing the 4 year course is wrong. He should graduate with the degree as an absolute minimum.
    And don't be overly concerned about "hands on" stuff just yet. That's the easy part. A summer job in any machine shop should get a taste and is a lot easier than cracking an engineering curriculum.

I think that Jboggs is right on.

REREAD what he says and let your son read it .

The other comments are also certainly well taken.