Thread: Unable to get the expected result in Electro-thermal-structural problem

Associate Engineer

Unable to get the expected result in Electro-thermal-structural problem

Good Day,

I am working on a problem in which i am coupling "Thermal-Electric" physics with "Transient Structural" in Ansys workbench V 14.5. I am supplying electric energy(Voltage) to a structure which gets heats up due to Joule Thomson effect, and then i connect it's "Solution" to "Setup" tab of "Transient Structural". I am applying the voltage in the tabular form (0,0.01,0,0.01,0) having 4 number of steps with each step equals 0.1 sec. Since the supplied voltage is in alternate form i am getting corresponding alternate temperature variation in structure in alternate form during the whole simulation time period. But when i import the result to Transient structural then i do not find any corresponding alternate Mechanical deformation of the structure. In fact i get only one sided mechanical movement that too only in the last step(4th step ranging from 0.3 sec to 0.4 sec). It looks likes to me that Structural physics only showing the movement during the last time step as a result of which it looks like only unidirectional deformation. Yes i change the "Analysis Time"(under Transient> Imported Load> Imported Body Temperature) to 0.4 sec from it's default value of 1 sec. Both physics have same Analysis settings related to steps. I am attaching the screenshots of both the physics & "Imported body temperature" settings. Kindly notice in the picture of Transient Structural , you can note output only in the 4th step despite Electric-Thermal having output value in almost all 4 steps(except 1st step which is again mysterious to me, please give me reason of this one also).

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Input supply Voltage

Thermal-Electric physics-Temperature Result

Imported Body Temperature setttings

Transient Structural Physics -Deformation result

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 04-09-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Attach image