Thread: oscillating gear mechanism

Associate Engineer

oscillating gear mechanism

Hello,

Awesome site! I am trying to design a gearbox that oscillates similar to that of an electric toothbrush. Does anyone have any resources that can help me in my quest?

Thanks!
    -Bock

Your question will have to be more specific. Many commercial gearboxes are available, but probably not for the custom-designed gearset you would find in a toothbrush. You will get better responses when your question is about details of a design you have already worked on.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you for the reply jboggs.

Actually, a very general occilating gearbox is what I am looking for as I am just in the idea phase of my project. I would like to see what is availiable commercially. Do you know where I can buy these and even find diagrams of occilating gear boxes with different degrees of rotation and different sizes?

I am not making a small toothbrush by the way.

Thanks,
    Bock

Just google gearboxes. By the way, "gearboxes", also known as "gear reducers", are for speed reduction or torque amplification and do not oscillate. But we all know what you mean. You should google oscillating mechanisms if that's what you want. You will find mechanisms based on one rotating body and a connecting link driving a second oscillating body.