Thread: Help me choose a plastic.

Associate Engineer

Help me choose a plastic.

Hello people. I have zero experience with engineering in any capacity, so I figured I'd register and ask for help from the pros.

I'm a leather worker and my question regards a tool called a maul. Most manufacturers are very vague about the plastic they use for the striking surface. Often they are yellow polyurethane, but some of the high end makers use materials that have better qualities.

Requirements-

Must be sold as tube stock (my machining ability is very limited) 2"/2.5" od

Relatively quiet (maybe a lower durometer?)

Impact resistant (no divots from using against steel stamping tools)

Fairly inexpensive

Durable (should last a long time without the need for replacement)

That about covers what I can think of. Anything you can think of would be appreciated.

I plan to make a few mauls for me and my friends.

A recommendation for supplier would be most helpful.

If this is in the wrong section I apologize in advance. If a mod needs to move it I appreciate your help.

Thanks everyone,

Anthony

Google, Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene rod or bar.

Ebay for a small quantity and low price it is easily shaped-machined with any steel tooling hand or power,
    some old time leather workers used rawhide , hardwood , even brass & lead tools.
    I have worked some leather in the past and the UHMW will work for what you need.
    Remember Google is your friend.

Best regards

Associate Engineer
    That's interesting that you mention uhmw. I work (day job) in a food processing factory and uhmw is the most common self lubricating plastic that we use. It's good stuff, but it does get divots from impacts with small surface area tools like the end of my stamps. It would probably be good for a long time, but I was hoping for something better. Are there different grades of uhmw? Perhaps the stuff I'm used to working with has a particularly low durometer?

I have a wooden mallet, as well as a yellow poly mallet and some cheap orange dead blow mallets. All of them have what I'd consider deal breakers.

I know that color is not always an indicator of what a material might be, but one company uses a brown polymer that almost looks like opaque rubber, but doesn't have any bounce. Bounce, either from being too soft, or from being too hard, is unwanted because it can cause a double impression.

I have a high end maul that I just bought. I absolutely love it, but I'd like to try my hand at making one. I just need the very best in materials to do so. I'm not opposed to buying a few different materials, but I'd like to narrow down some options.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll look to see if uhmw comes in different grades.

It sounds to me like the material is some form of urethane, and there are many. There are also many small companies that specialize in creating small custom molded urethane components. I have dealt with a few. Google custom urethane molders and look for one in your area. You can also try ThomasRegister.com. They're like a Google for industrial users, specifically aimed at helping customers and suppliers find particular types of companies. They started out decades ago as a publisher of a LARGE multi-volume index of almost every major company in the world. I remember dealing with Thomas Registers that had 25 volumes.

Lead Engineer
    I agree with JBoggs that you should contact one of the many specialty urethane molders. The material in the "high end maul" may actually be urethane with a filler material to modify its performance.

Principle Engineer
    There are urethanes that you can cast.

Perhaps you can cobble (ha,ha) a mold out of split PVC pipe or wood that will allow you to insert a wooden handle for encapsulation while molding. (Don't forget to investigate some sort of mold release.) A wooden mold could give you square cross section if you made a simple box with an open top and stuck the handle in it.