Thread: 20 year old college student look for some help

Associate Engineer

20 year old college student look for some help

So I've had quite the life after graduating high school so far i worked in 2 different unions one of which I'm at now on the railroad went to college for a bit in between and im looking to go back to college. As a little background on myself I always loved taking things apart and putting them back together or even making my own things that work better I went to a technical highschool and worked on motorcycles as my major and came in 2nd at SkillsUSA. So doing mechanical things was always well, my thing. When I was in highschool I always dreamed of working on a race team or having a research and development job for an automotive company. Everything I've tried to make a career out of I always think about what if i just tried for it. So the time has come I'm going to follow my dream and original plan. Everything I've searched and found is saying automotive engineering is the way to go but i'm kind of confused because other places I've found are saying mechanical and automotive engineering are one in the same almost. So I decided to come on here and talk to actual working engineers and just get some feedback, like if I'll be able to find a job after school, which school you went to, responsibilities of the job your at, and maybe even telling me if I'm going in the right direction to do the work with cars or race teams (the teams being the long shot but my ultimate dream). I'm really just not sure of the differences of automotive and mechanical engineering.

Thank you in advance to any feedback given!

Jake,
    First, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your persistence to go after your goal. With that kind of attitude you cannot fail.

Second, as for the difference between mechanical and automotive engineering, maybe a little history will help. The first established fields of engineering "disciplines" (as they are called) were civil, mechanical, and mining. This makes sense if you think about it. Roads, bridges, dams, mines, canals, were all examples of the detailed application of scientific principles to real world problems. As new technologies came along, engineering disciplines developed specialties that eventually grew into their own established disciplines. For example, electricity, nuclear power, the automobile, aviation, chemicals, petroleum, etc. Now the variety of engineering discipline choices can be mind boggling. But if you understand this basic fact it might help. They all began of branches of one of the basic fields. In my opinion it is best for new students to start in one of the truly basic fields (mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil) and then branch out later when they know more about it. I agree with what you have been told, that automotive engineering and mechanical engineering are so similar as to be almost indistinguishable. For example, an automotive engineer will definitely have to understand all the basic mechanical engineering principles, but a mechanical engineer might not have the detailed courses in internal combustions engines, or fuel injection systems. A good mechanical engineer can get a job designing cars, but a good automotive engineer might not be able to get a job working on space exploration. There's more to this, so read up on it.

You asked about job prospects. I've been doing this for over 30 years and I can tell you if you are good at what you do and willing to be flexible you can always find work. Personally I graduated from NC State in 1973. I've worked for large companies, small companies, my own company, manufacturers, insurance companies, consultants, machine shops. I've worked for manufacturers of electronics. automobiles, automobile suppliers, machine tools, heavy and light transportation equipment, basic steel products, auto glass, lighting, powdered metal, food, printing, and many others. There's a great big world out there and its all fun.

Right now I do what I believe I was born to do. I design special machines for a highly specialized manufacturing process. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of seeing something I designed doing what it is supposed to do and doing it well.

And last but definitely not least: You have demonstrated your desire to move forward and I applaud that. I have been in the position to hire and mentor many young engineers, so take my advice very seriously. Be very aware of and careful about the first impression you make on others. For example, did you notice that it was easy to read my response? A question - if you are presented with two different things to read and one looks easier than the other, which one do you think you will read first? Right, the easy one. My point? Make your writing easier to read. Engineers are professionals. If you want to be taken as a professional you have no choice but to act like one. A professional takes care with his grammar, his spelling, his punctuation, his paragraphs, and his capitalization. Don't do that and you won't be considered a professional. If you want to enter the field then you should approach EVERYTHING you write professionally. You aren't texting your best buds here. My words are strong because I know how important they are. Unfortunately our schools today have chosen to graduate an entire generation of youth with no understanding at all of the importance of the basics of written communication.

And after you graduate I will be on your case about the quality of the appearance of your drawings, but we'll do that later.

Best of luck to you!
    Joe

Associate Engineer
    First off, thank you Joe for the reply and I'll apologize for the bad grammar. I was trying to get a lot of information down and just missed a few things and got a little sloppy. I do appreciate the thorough reply and based on the information you've given me it seems I am making the right decision to go for the mechanical engineering and then specialize a little down the road after I have the experience.

Now to question the job prospect again, you say you've done this for 30 years and always had work but was the reason of all of the moves due to you getting laid off/let go from these jobs or were you leaving voluntarily? I just want to ask because my primary worry is that I'll finish school and I wont be able to find a job in the field. Or that I'll work at one company get laid off then have to bounce around all of the time, I'm just looking for a little job security.

I'm also very curious if you're making a decent living from this job, now I'm not looking for any set numbers or anything if that's not something you want to share. I'm just asking because the job I have on the railroad i can make 80-100k a year but that'll be working 6 days a week at 72+ hours a week. Don't get me wrong though long hour days and long weeks do not scare me especially not while I'm new into a company but I'm looking at a little farther down the road when I'd like to have a family I'd like to be able to spend time with them and not be working 72+ hours a week for the next 40 years of my life. A majority of these guys I work with hate their jobs, family, life, and are just generally miserable all day and night. Quite honestly, I truly do not want to have a life like that being the positive and always happy person I am.

I probably look insane for leaving a well paying job with great benefits like the one that I have now but as I said I'm a family man and I need that time with my family now and the future family I will have. The way my schedule works is I'm on call for six days and I can be called at any time of the day or night and have to be at work in 2 hours. So I have no set schedule and I'm never home I'm on a revolution of eat, work, sleep repeat. This doesn't make for a very good time with family and I'm frequently told that "You won't really be a part of the family anymore you'll just be a provider."

Lastly I'll be all ears and take the advice to heart when the time comes for critique on the drawings. I still have four long years till that time though, but I'll be looking forward to it.

Thanks again Joe!
    Jake

P.S I'm looking into Temple University and Penn State if any alumni are on this forum that would like to give some insight on the schools!

Jake,
    Thank you for taking my comments seriously. Many of your age do not.

Yes, after 35 years the resume gets a little long. I never was one that wanted to stay in any one place for decades and retire. Maybe I should have. Who knows? I can see advantages and disadvantages both ways. Most of the variety of my experience comes from the fact that I have been a consultant for multiple clients in one form or another for a lot of that time.

Most of my job separations have been voluntary, some were due to down-sizing. I think a personality characteristic that can be extremely valuable to anyone is that of flexibility. Life will throw a lot of things at you. The less time you spend cursing those unexpected changes, the better. My daughter will start complaining about something, and then stop and say, "I know Dad, this too shall pass."

Can you make a decent living? Yes, absolutely. You can have a satisfying career, adequate family time, and a decent retirement. Depending on decisions you make you can have a very comfortable life. Sticking strictly within the engineering field though, you probably won't become rich. To do that you will eventually have to spend much more of your time as a business man and less of a detailed technician.

And if you are on the lookout for it, you can have a hell of lot of fun!