Thread: New kind of leaf blower - Comments?

Associate Engineer

New kind of leaf blower - Comments?

I came up with an idea for a new kind of leaf blower (see the figure) and I would want to ask peoples' opinions about it before I use more of my time on it. Do you have any opinions on this?

The idea is that there is 5-6 small air pipes (diameter 5mm), 100mm apart from each other, which are pulled right near the ground, and since they are so close, it would require only a small puff of air to lift the leaves off the ground. And once a leaf is off the ground, it can be collected by some sort of rotating roller. It would move on two wheels and be maybe 600mm width.

The roller can also push the leaves very tight and possibly shred them at the same time. The bag would be glass fiber reinforced to take the pressure. Inside it could be a normal carbage bag that could then be used to transport the leaves.

The benefits (that I think) it has are:
    -It requires much less power to lift the leaves than a normal leaf blower and is therefore also less noisy.
    -It doesn't raise dust into the air and can be used to remove sand from sidewalks after winter.
    -It collects the leaves at the same time and packs them tight.

Do you think:
    1. It would work the way I described and really require less power and be less noisy?
    2. Do you think it would better than traditional leaf blowers and that people would buy it?
    3. Has it been tried already?
    4. Any other comments?

Thanks!

Jyri
    Attached Images Attached Images

Conceptually, I don't believe this is any different then a lawnmower with a bagger... And with experience my lawnmower bagger system works quite well.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.