Thread: Hydraulics engineering helpA wide channel carrying a specific discharge of 32 ft3/s/f

Associate Engineer

Hydraulics engineering helpA wide channel carrying a specific discharge of 32 ft3/s/f

I need help solving these practice problems for my final that is coming up.
    My teacher, although he's an awesome person, has not been very helpful in class.
    I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

1. Water is flowing in a 12-ft-wide rectangular channel running on a slope of 0.002 ft/ft with a Manning n value of 0.025. The discharge is known to be 750 cfs. At a particular point the velocity is measured to be 8 ft/s.
    a. Classify the profile that prevails in this vicinity.
    b. Where is the control for this profile located (upstream or downstream)?

2. Water is flowing in a trapezoidal channel with a 10-ft bottom width and 2 on 1 side slopes. The Manning n value is 0.025, the discharge is estimated at 1000 cfs, and the channel bed slope is 0.009 ft/ft. At a certain point the depth is observed to be 7 ft.
    a. Classify the profile that prevails in this vicinity.
    b. Where is the control for this profile located (upstream or downstream)?

3. A wide channel carrying a specific discharge of 32 ft3/s/ft is laid at a slope of 12 x 10-4. The channel has a Manning roughness coefficient of 0.018. The channel terminates into a free overfall at which the depth of flow is equal to 1.1 yc. Determine the depth of flow 400 ft upstream of the fall. Use changes in the depth of flow of 0.1 ft.

4. A wide rectangular channel under a bed slope of 14 x 10-4 carries a specific discharge of 3.6 m2/s. The depth is 2.7 m at a dam located downstream of the river. Determine the distance upstream of the dam where the water depth is 2.2 m. The Mannings n = 0.025. Use changes in the depth of flow of 0.1 m.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Students

Students are not allowed to post academic questions which are intended to solve their homework or test problems on Engineers Edge forums. This is considered plagiarism by most academic institutions and Engineers Edge Management. Posts that are of academic homework or test nature may be removed from Engineers Edge and the posting member could lose their access privileges.

No exceptions.

For more information on Engineers Edge forum rules see:

Rules and Posting Policy
    Taken from HERE