Thread: Co-efficient of Friction of elastomer seal

Associate Engineer

Co-efficient of Friction of elastomer seal

I am working with a project where I need to measure the co-efficient of friction of elastomer seal.In my case, the elastomer seal is compressed by more than 500 bar on steel. Now, I want to measure the co-efficient of friction of elastomer seal in contact with steel. I am planning to test the elastomer seal by experimental set-up. I have attached a drawing for information.In the drawing , I will apply the vertical compression load by the universal testing machine by controlling the load. In the meantime , I am planning to apply tensile load on the steel plate. In this way, I will measure the friction co-efficient. However, the problem is I cannot figure out that how I will apply the horizontal tensile load on steel.

It will be helpful for me if anyone give me some advice how I can apply horizontal tensile load?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Attached Files

Lead Engineer
    I would suggest that it would be better to use a short steel cylinder with a larger diameter bore (machined to the surface finish required for the test) and a elastomer doughnut sandwiched between two steel plates and loaded to the required compression loading by a bolt passed through the center of this sandwich assembly while located within the containing cylinder; and, then applying a measured loading with a hydraulic press and load cell on the top of the sandwiched assembly to slide it longitudinally through the steel cylinder to determine the coefficient of friction between the compressed rubber disc and the cylinder wall.