I am currently a contract engineer who has been working at my current company for almost a year now. I have been contributing well to the company and I am thinking about asking them to hire me on full time. However, I think that they would want me to have a salary in mind and I am not sure how much to ask or what would be a fair salary for going full time. How can I get an idea of about how much I should be asking?

I have a 4 year MET degree and have been in the workforce as a contract engineer for 2.25 years now. I worked in Test Engineering and now have been working as a project engineer at my current position in an NVH department. I work in the Motor City Michigan area. I am currently working at $31 an hour with Per Diem + OT , in my contract position but I’m not sure if that even has any bearing on full time salary or if my company even knows what I make, since they only pay my contract whom in turn pays me.

Thanks for any help. I want to make sure I am prepared with a salary in mind before pushing to be hired full-time. The type of company is not an OEM but one that provides engineering services for OEMs and others of the like.