Thread: Need some help with lever design

Associate Engineer

Need some help with lever design

Hello all,
    I'm pre-college, really looking forward to joining you all someday, and I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I'm working on for an AP class at my school.

I'm trying to make a lever that, when pushed down on one end, will transfer the energy on the other end straight up a wall, instead of a curve. I've got a little idea worked up, that I've attached below: A is one end of the lever, B is the other end, C is my solution to transfer the energy straight up - a rotating column that always points up, transferring the energy in the direction I want. The end goal is that the lever is to deliver a load (that will be placed on top of pt C), to the top of a wall but I can't figure what kind of joint B and C should have that would keep pt C always pointing straight up/always delivering the energy straight up. Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks for any help!

Attached Images Attached Images

Associate Engineer

you're working the angles there

Make B a swindel

The idea with a plank looking up on the edge of a lever is jack as you're either way mostly elevating point of contract (uncless point C can maintain upright posture while being almost above the bottom bar). Going along the same lines you could base of the plank not rotate around axis

there's most likely a better way of doing it, but im contend with besting you while dropping out of high school
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 07-31-2015 at 05:36 AM.

Associate Engineer
    What you are trying to design is called a 4-bar mechanism (use Google to see examples). Just because point C needs to travel linearly (vertical in your case), does not mean bar BC needs to remain vertical.

Associate Engineer
    Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction