Thread: lego Differentials in parallel

Associate Engineer

lego Differentials in parallel

Hi,
    Unfortunately I am not an engineer, I have asked a few people and get different answers so I thought I would ask the professionals.

I have built a Lego grandfather clock with a pendulum driven by a weight. the clock runs for around 20 minutes. I have incorporated a lego mindstorms computer that has a sensor to detect the weight hitting the bottom and then uses a motor to wind the weight back up till it hits the sensor at the top therefore making it auto winding.

I have incorporated a differential to allow the clock to be wound while it is running.

PROBLEM is the the torque is quite high and the small gears in the diff sometimes break under the strain.

I had an idea to use two diffs in parallel. I thought this would spread the load evenly across both diffs but opinion between friends is split as to whether this is correct or not.

Before I attempt a rebuild to incorporate the mod I would like to know whether I am right or wasting my time?

Attached Images Attached Images

Associate Engineer
    Dont know how grandfather clocks run as I'm young. If you're trying to save the small gears center with load coming from black things then you're not doing much unless the gears down bottom are not entirely driven by weight (if they're moving by means other than just sheer weight than they're partaking in actually process above). I don't know what's attached to what to then also make sense of it. Do tell when you do it though.

Associate Engineer
    Or alternatively if it's contributing to the main stuff, although it may as well increase stress if it's all done to rotate the part on the bottom left (if there're 4 of those).