Thread: Help identifying material

Help identifying material

Hello all,

As you folks may or may not know, my job is to create cabinet and rack designs for the telecommunications and data market. A couple days ago, I was thrown a curve by a customer asking for a gland plate/cable entry plate for the top of one of our cabinets that uses a flat yet pliable high-density foam-like material to seal the top of the cabinet with regards to airflow. Power cables, CAT6 cables, wire and such are then pulled through the seam between the overlapping "flaps" of this material. As needed, this material can be trimmed to fit around extra large bundles of cable to minimize air loss. The material needs to be a minimum of UL 94V-2 rated and RoHS compliant.

I have been scouring the interweb and have enlisted the help of a couple of our vendors to identify the material requested by our customer (they claim to currently have this material in use on a competitor's cabinet) with no luck. Would any of you folks be familiar with this material? From what I am told, the color varies from a light to dark gray in appearance and has a "waxy" feel to it.

Thanks,

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ron,

I've spent a few hours looking around....it looks like it may be just EMI/RFI sheeting or conductive foam.

Marky,

That is VERY similar to what I am looking for. I have sent out requests for samples to verify this is in fact what our customer is asking. Thanks, Marky!

Ron

Cool Ron....Post a pic when you get the design done.

Hi CCR,

I was looking into something similar the other day and found this in McMaster CAr under CordGrips, just thought it may help.

Regards, Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim,

Thanks! Although it is the right idea, the openings for the cable are quite a bit smaller than required. Some of the bundles of cable will be 4"-5" in diameter. The total open area in the top of the enclosure dedicated to cable entry is 6" x 24" and nearly all of that space will be utilized when the enclosure is fully populated. The material I am looking for is to inhibit airflow around the cables and can be trimmed to fit as more cables are added.

Ron