Thread: Designing a Pipe bridge Using angle irons across a span of 6.5m. Need Help

Associate Engineer

Designing a Pipe bridge Using angle irons across a span of 6.5m. Need Help

Hello, I'm designing a pipe bridge using angle irons but I'm kind of stuck. Is it possible to span 6.5m using parallel 50mmx50mm angle irons that are only braced horizontally and that are supported by 100mmx100mm angle irons. Check the attached picture to see what I mean. The bridge will support about 8 metal pipes (100mm diameter). Please advise if not. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this hence I don't want to over design it. Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depends on the loading generated by the pipes. From your sketch however, the bridge looks like it will become unstable due to horizontal loading. A bit of knee bracing will be required I think. Look at this more like a frame than a bridge.

Forgot to add: A good place to look for an example would be your local railway station. The structure will be bigger than you may require (larger safety factors, dynamic pressure from trains etc.) but it will give you the general gist of how to get the most out of a lightweight structure.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-13-2015 at 07:30 AM.