Thread: Full Requirements

Associate Engineer

Full Requirements

Hello,
    I work for an aerospace manufacturer. I have been in this industry for nearly 10 years, working for two different manufacturers.
    Throughout my experience, all the manufacturing requirements (such as forming specification or heat-treat specification) have been linked to the part either via the PO, configuration documents, the drawing, or even the project contract. Sometimes, even the drawing calls out a specification, and that specification calls out another specification, and that is our link: that is fine.

Currently, we have a customer who is implying that a specification, which is not linked to the part via any documentation, should be applied to the manufacturing process, because it is the 'general' specification for this process.

Is there any ISO, or AS9000, or other industry standard which says that the customer documentation (i.e. PO, configuration documents, project contract, drawing, etc.) should include all the requirements which the customer expects the manufacturer to fulfill?

Thanks for your help.

Currently, we have a customer who is implying that a specification, which is not linked to the part via any documentation, should be applied to the manufacturing process, because it is the 'general' specification for this process.

I don't know of an industry or engineering standard that allows for assumptions. If a specification or other requirement is not included in the contractual documentation (engineering drawing, PO, linked specification, etc.) - then it's not required..

To expand on this concept - one does not specify simply "steel" and assume that they will get stainless steel or 4140 in the product. Chances are they will get a cheap carbon steel like 1010. If the end supplier is smart they will ask for clarity.

Within ASME Y14.5 - 2009, Dimensioning and Tolerancing GD&T Standard paragraph 1.4 "Fundamental Rules", second item b..

"Dimensioning and Tolerancing shall be complete so there is full understanding of the characteristics of each feature. ..... nor assumptions of a distance... allowed"

This fundamental rule indicates that assumptions are not allowed.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-19-2015 at 04:09 PM.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.