Thread: Need Very Simple Help on a School Project

Associate Engineer

Question Need Very Simple Help on a School Project

Hello everyone, I have a small task to do for a school project. I must make (or buy or set up) a slow spinning (around 30 rpm or lower) motor that can support around five pounds. It must have an easily accessible power source that lasts for about 8 hours (so a wall outlet is preferred unless batteries are easy to switch). It will be in a fake cardboard fish tank with dolphins spinning around it. I need help o the wiring and where to even start. Any product recommendations or advice or directions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Did you read the thing about Homework in the rules and posting policy section of Engineers Edge when you signed up?

Rules and Posting Policy
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorblake View Post
    Hello everyone, I have a small task to do for a school project. I must make (or buy or set up) a slow spinning (around 30 rpm or lower) motor that can support around five pounds. It must have an easily accessible power source that lasts for about 8 hours (so a wall outlet is preferred unless batteries are easy to switch). It will be in a fake cardboard fish tank with dolphins spinning around it. I need help o the wiring and where to even start. Any product recommendations or advice or directions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    The project looks exciting. If you are looking to build a prototype and do not know how to go about making it, then it would be better off if you leave the "building" part to others. Others in the sense, people who would be willing to help you out in this regard. I once came up with an idea for a project wherein I had an idea to make a torch using cardboard and a battery. Although I knew what to do, I did not know how to do it. Then my cousin introduced me to these guys at Spark Innovations in Toronto who stepped in to help me in completing the product. Too bad I do not have a good enough photograph to share. I would say you could follow a similar approach and all the very best with the project.