Thread: I'm stumped! Mini hydraulic jewelry press spec question, please help!

Associate Engineer

Bang Head I'm stumped! Mini hydraulic jewelry press spec question, please help!

Hi Guys!,

So I've been reading over many of this forum's threads for a couple weeks now and I either couldn't find the answer to my question or didn't understand it if I did lol. I make jewelry and am looking to create a hydraulic press similar to this one. The description for it's construction is here:

die-forming.pdf

It seems like a solid plan as far as concept, but the author is frighteningly vague as far as specs for the plates/rods/etc. I want to know what thickness of 10"x10" square steel (plain) top, bottom, and press plates I'd need to withstand a 30ton bottle jack. Also, is the 1" threaded rod that they suggest safe? Thank you, thank you, thank you for any help you can give! I've been all over the calculators and formulas and have just been really struggling :/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mdbanks2; 09-23-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Sorry but I don't have time right now to go thru the calculations, but I have to ask - what does a 30T press have to do with making jewelry? that's 60,000 lbs! That's heavy duty industrial grade. Are you sure about that? Just curious...

Associate Engineer
    No thats a totally fair question! There are a few reasons 1) The most important thing with pressing jewelry is "crispness" of the cut, and the greater the tonnage the more detail you get from your cuts (this press will be punching metals both inside and out), 2) The more pressure you use, the deeper you are able to make your metal pieces, which translates to deeper and cleaner embossing as well. and 3) It allows me to use higher gauge metals when making male/female silhouette die cuts. 20tons is generally regarded as the least amount of pressure used to form jewelry with any sort of detail and they even go as high as 55tons! Check them out, these were the presses that I couldn't afford lol ..

ADMIN: Link removed.. No value to the question or thread..

"Check them out, these were the presses that I couldn't afford lol .."

Are you a spammer?

Quote Originally Posted by mdbanks2 View Post
    No thats a totally fair question! There are a few reasons 1) The most important thing with pressing jewelry is "crispness" of the cut, and the greater the tonnage the more detail you get from your cuts (this press will be punching metals both inside and out),
    The "crispness" comes from the quality of the dies used, fine blanking dies of high quality and tolerance specifically.. The press should be selected and sized based on the forces required to operate the dies..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    That is true, and 30 tons will cover what my dies require. You seem to be knowledgeable in jewelry pressing, any ideas how I can figure out the thickness of the plates and press materials?

Associate Engineer
    Jboggs, I don't want to be a nuisance but is there any chance you may be able to help me find the right formulas to figure out the materials I need to gather for the press? I know it's a pain, but I'm just really stuck? Thank you!

The whole thing is driven by the distance between the tie rod centerlines. I need that, width and depth.

Associate Engineer

Dimensions and such

I tried to give all the info I could, but just let me know if anything is missing or if the images do not show up well and I'll try to find/fix it. I have included an image of the press along with dimensions as well as the original passage that I have been basing the construction on (I could have linked you to the book but I think they mark that as spam? And I didn't want to break any rules.). Thank you again, so much! I really appreciate your help! Melissa

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 10-02-2015 at 06:58 AM.

If you truly want a press rated at 60,000 lbs and of the size shown in your posting, I would recommend 1-1/2" rods, not 1/2". Threaded only on the ends, not the full length. And 3" thick steel plate, not 3/8". This is based on a very quick stress analysis, 36,000 psi Yield Strength steel and 2:1 safety factor. I don't think you want to do that. I would say build it out of whatever you can find, try it, and see how it works for you. If something bends, find something stiffer or change the layout dimensions. Whoever wrote that text you're using, well let's just say it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Might consider spherical washers and mating nuts to compensate for uneven loading on rods..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you so, so much! I completely agree about the article, I had the same feeling when I read it which was why I wanted to come here and ask the experts (seriously who gets vague when you're talking about something that could crack your collarbone in half?!). Thank you again for your time and helping me stay safe.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you, I will 100% add that to the plans!

Hop onto the auction website of your choosing and find a cheap used die set to use for this. You'll likely find something close enough that's already built for less than you'd spend on your plate and rods. Every area has used equipment sales places with stuff like this for pennies on the buck. Haggle with them... they're expecting it.

You'll likely be able to use existing bolt patterns in the plates to set up your stamping or embossing dies too. Dies sets are machined with the platens together so everything lines up nicely. A three platen set would be ideal I'd think? Ram between the lower two and your workpiece and dies between the top platens.

You could stiffen a less than adequate plate with vertical members too. Picture a honeycomb between two plates. That makes two flimsy plates one much stronger plate. Doesn't need to be fancy like a honeycomb... just reduce the area the load is concentrated on. Get it?

Associate Engineer
    That is genius! How did I not think to line up the 30ton rated plates and just measure the diameter of the holes?! I've researched used pre-built models but not the plates! I'm sure they'll be more reasonable especially if their open to compromise.

I know these forums are voluntary and you & all the other engineers are taking your own time to help us lay-people not maime the neighbor dog with a projectile piece of sheet metal...or...you know whatever... But we really really appreciate your help. Thank you!

There's one for your wall, Kelly!

Associate Engineer
    Hi mdbanks2!! Just wondering if you had success in building your press?? I am considering building one using the instructions while considering the comments here. Thanks.