Thread: Does #Rule 1 is applicable for Orientation of Surface ?

Associate Engineer

Confused Does #Rule 1 is applicable for Orientation of Surface ?

Does # Rule 1 is applicable for orientation of surface like perpendicularity of surface, parallelism of surface and angulairty of surface? please let me know

Yes, there are applications where Orientation Tolerance boundaries are contained within the specified limits of size tolerance boundaries for an associated surface unless otherwise specified (ASME Y14.5-2009).

To be specific think of a cube where the bottom surface is specified as datum "A" and a limits of size is specified left-right surfaces +/- 0.3 mm. Then a perpendicularity of 0.2 mm relative to datum "A" is specified for the right side surface.

The as-manufactured right side surface must fall within the tolerance boundaries defined by the limits of size (Rule #1) and the perpendicularity tolerance boundaries of the as-manufactured right side surface must also fall within the tolerance boundaries set forth by the limits of size. When considering limits of size specification for a hole or similar feature of size relative to a planar perpendicular Datum feature – then no there is not an applicable limits of size for which the perpendicularity tolerance boundaries must fall within. Application specific…
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Ok, thank you for the clarity..