Thread: Need some advice. rust removal chemical

Associate Engineer

Need some advice. rust removal chemical

hi guys, i need some advice on my personal project.
    - i am planning on building a machine that clean and remove rust from a motorcycle engine block.
    - this machine using the same method like sand blasting to remove paint but instead of using sand, this machine using a rust removal chemical. the idea is so it can clean the internal of the engine block.
    - imagine the machine is like a square box that divide into two section, above section is a fully closed section. the machine is consist of a tank, pump motor, few nozzle, a spinning table powered by a power window motor. the idea is to pump the chemical from a tank at the below section to shoot the engine block on a spinning table with high pressure from a nozzle at the above section and this will be the cycle of the machine.
    - the problem is, the chemical will produce foam. i have experimented on using other chemical as well but will still produce a lot of foam. can u guys help me on how to prevent the foam from forming?

thank you for any advice you guys could give me.
    dean

Might be better off building yourself an electrolysis tank?
    Materials are inexpensive and it does a great job. See this site... http://www.antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Associate Engineer
    yes i has thought of that before, but using electrolysis will take a long time to remove the rust and one of my objective is to build the machine so it can reduce time on cleaning the motorcycle engine block over manual cleaning using brush and sand paper and etc..
    do you think the foam will stop forming if i mix some salt into the chemical?

thank you for any advice you guys could give me.
    dean

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    - this machine using the same method like sand blasting to remove paint but instead of using sand
    Hi Dean,

Have you considered using Baking Soda? It is slower than sand or bead blasting but the residue can be washed out with hot water.

Do a Google search on
    baking soda blasting media

Hi Dean,

Abrasive blasting/machining uses lots of different media, baking soda as mentioned, dry ice, glass beads (beware of free silica), alumium oxide, steel shot, etc. etc. I have something else for you to consider, I know it can be expensive, but it works really well and the following link might give you some more ideas. http://extrudehone.com/
    In a nutshell, the process forces grit-impregnated gell/putty through all of the orfaces of the part, it requires some block off plates to be constructed initially but once the tooling is done it works quick and does a great job. Also consider vibratory cleaners/ deburing equipment already in existance.
    Regards, Jim

As a mechanic, I run into the same problem. I've never found a chemical that does a satisfactory job of rust removal without additional elbow grease, so for my money, even if you could keep the foam out, you'll still have to do manual removal. As a general rule, you want to avoid ALL grit in the engine, so media blasting is out.

If our shop could afford it, we'd get a large ultrasonic cleaning tub. Just drop the block in, go do a brake job and have lunch, then pull the spankin' clean block out.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by wsdave View Post
    As a general rule, you want to avoid ALL grit in the engine, so media blasting is out.
    Well, as an Engineer having been part of a design team on a washing machine that held five V-16 Caterpillar engine blocks on a big rotisserie thing, I can assure you that media blasting is the only way to go. We never had to send a single soul inside with a wire brush.

Baking Soda dissolves totally in warm water and leaves no residue and Dry-ice (CO2) is, er, a gas.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I **will** guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Well, as an Engineer having been part of a design team on a washing machine that held five V-16 Caterpillar engine blocks on a big rotisserie thing, I can assure you that media blasting is the only way to go. We never had to send a single soul inside with a wire brush.

Baking Soda dissolves totally in warm water and leaves no residue and Dry-ice (CO2) is, er, a gas.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I **will** guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.
    Well, as a mechanic, we try to keep the grit OUT of the engine. That's one of the reasons why changing the oil and filters regularly is kinda important, and why driving in the desert is a little harder on engines than most highway driving.

But hey, opinions vary: Feel free to blast all your engine parts with any media that suits your fancy.

Associate Engineer
    Nice thread. I too have got my doubt solved here.