Thread: 6063-T5 aluminum help

Associate Engineer

6063-T5 aluminum help

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct area and when I searched for my question I didn’t find anything.
    Here is my issue, we have ordered some 6063-T5 extruded rectangular tubing to machine and the vendor has sent us 6063-T52 material. We are experiencing issues with the product in the field with a press fit pin. The pins are falling out of only cretin product and upon review of the material certs it was discovered the material is not 6063-T5 but instead 6063-T52.
    From my research the T52 has been undergone a compression stress relive process and the T5 doesn’t. Are there any other differences in the two materials?
    We also use 6063-T6, 6061-T6, and a 6005-T5 material and are not having any issues with these material types.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

We are experiencing issues with the product in the field with a press fit pin.

I doubt this is material - more likely a press fit application problem.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    I doubt this is material - more likely a press fit application problem.[/COLOR]
    Thank you Kelly for the response! we are using the same press fit tolerances (pin Ø .0625-.0635 and hole Ø .060-.061) across all of the products we make and are only experiencing issues with the 6063-T52 material. the machinery handbook has a suggested press fit hole diameter for a 1/16 dowel .0615-.0620. We have had more complaints this year alone than the last 5 years combined. all product with complaints were manufactured with the 6063-T52 material.
    My theory is being the T52 material is softer than the other previously stated material we normally use when the pins are pressed into the part the holes expand and deform allowing the pins to eventually fall out.
    any input is greatly appreciated!