Thread: How to best import AutoCAD assembly into Inventor?

betaphase

How to best import AutoCAD assembly into Inventor?

Hi All,

I have a question about compatibility between Autodesk AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor.

What is the best way to import an assembly from AutoCAD into Inventor (such that I can transfer over the maximum amount of geometric information, import parts as individual part files and keep the part names, etc.)?

I'm an inventor user and have recently started working at company where most designers have been useing AutoCAD. They've been creating 3D models and assemblies using the 3D functionality in AutoCAD, and I'd like to be able to work on these older projects in the environment I'm most familiar with. I've been importing the AutoCAD assemblies into Inventor, but there seem to be some limitations that I'm hoping I can circumvent. I've done this by opening the AutoCAD file and selecting the option to import, and trying out several options through the import dialogue boxes.

I've noticed that I'm able to import each component as an individual part, however, the original part names are not maintained. Furthermore each part does not seem to have geometry that you can actually edit. The way I've worked around that so far, is to individually open and save each imported part with an updated file name, but ultimately that's only useful for parts that I don't need to edit. If the original file requires any changes then I just have to draw it again from scratch.

I've also tried importing the assembly as a single part, and I've noticed that now each part is saved as an object with the proper part name, however I'm not sure what to do with the file from this point and/or how to turn that into an assembly.

I noticed that the import dialog boxes include an option to "import into repair environment" or something along those lines, but I'm not familiar with that process.

Is there a way around these limitations? If so what are the steps?

Thanks very much for your help,

Bruno

Use the following steps to import AutoCAD Aassembly into Inventor.

1. Within Inventor, click on "File" tab in the top left corner of the program.
    2. Expand the "Open" option, and select "Import DWG."
    3. Select the file that will be opened.
    4. When the DWG/ DXF File Wizard is prompted, select "AutoCAD or AutoCAD Mechanical File" and click on "Next."
    5. Confirm all of the 3D objects that will be imported, and click "Next."
    6. In "3D data options" check on the "3D Solids" checkbox.
    7. In "Destination for 2D data" select "New Part" and "Wires to 3D sketch."
    8. Fill in the rest of the dialog box to include the desired units.
    9. Click on Finish.

Notes:

Using blocks will not work, Inventor will ignore AutoCAD Blocks.
    If the file contains a nested block of multiple solids, these blocks might need to be exploded in AutoCAD.
    If there is more than one solid in your drawing, Inventor will import all solids into an Assembly.