Thread: difference between switchgear and circuit breakers

Associate Engineer

:bash: difference between switchgear and circuit breakers

what is the difference between switchgear and circuit breakers and is there any difference between outdoor and indoor switchgear and circuit breakers ,

and how would you differentiate between switch yard and substation and grid station .

thanks

Wikipedia:

Switchgear: is the combination of electrical disconnect switches, fuses or circuit breakers used to control, protect and isolate electrical equipment.Switchgear is used both to de-energize equipment to allow work to be done and to clear faults downstream."

Circuit Breaker: is an automatically operated electrical switch designed to protect an electricalcircuit from damage caused by overload or shortcircuit. Its basic function is to detect a fault condition and interrupt current flow.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Actually circuit Breaker is an automatically operated electrical switch designed to protect an electricalcircuit from damage caused by overload or shortcircuit. Its basic function is to detect a fault condition and interrupt current flow.
    And switchgear is the combination of electrical disconnect switches, fuses or circuit breakers used to control, protect and isolate electrical equipment.Switchgear is used both to de-energize equipment to allow work to be done and to clear faults downstream."

There is one other difference to consider too. Switchgear is designed to be regularly operated whereas circuit breakers are not.

A circuit breaker is an automatically-operated electrical switch designed to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by overload or short circuit. Its basic function is to operate immediately after detection of a fault condition by the relay and, by interrupting continuity, to immediately discontinue electrical flow. Switchgear is the combination of electrical disconnect switches and circuit breakers used to control, protect and isolate electrical equipment. Switchgear is used both to de-energize equipment to allow work to be done and to clear fault downstream. This type of equipment is directly linked to the reliability of the electric supply.

211kevinrichard
    There are commonalities between all circuit breakers but many functions will vary
    depending on the voltage class, current rating, and type of circuit breaker. The main function of all circuit breakers is to detect a fault, whether in the device itself (common in small and low voltage breakers) or otherwise. Once a fault is detected the breaker must disrupt the charge by separating the contacts. The contacts in a circuit breaker are typically separated using a spring or compressed air. Another common way to separate the contacts is through the use of the extra current itself, in higher voltage breakers this is commonly done with thermal expansion or a magnetic field. When the contacts are separated the electrical current can create an arch that will heat the contacts considerably. For this reason, it is important that the contact is made with a highly conductive metal capable of withstanding the heat when the contacts are separated, typically copper or silver. The heat generated in the arch must also be contained and cooled in order for the contacts to once again be able to conduct the current necessary for a working breaker. The following are some of the ways in which cooling takes place:

– Division into partial arcs
    – Intensive cooling (in jet chambers)
    – Lengthening or deflecting the arc
    – Connecting capacitors in parallel with contacts in DC circuits.

It’s no doubt that circuit breakers are a feat of engineering and very helpful in our
    everyday lives. Although you might have never given it any thought, these devices are both
    sophisticated and pretty cool.