Thread: Sound Dampening a manufacturing room

Associate Engineer

Sound Dampening a manufacturing room

Wondering if anyone has any experience or tips with this issue

We have a room where we deburr and tumble our parts, which consists of large vibratory machines, and the entire room is cement floors, brick walls, and metal roofing. Even the chairs are metal in there.
    Ear protection is required for prolonged periods of time of course, but there are people who just need to dip in for a bit, and honestly anything would help.
    We've considered hanging moving blankets in a scrunched fashion so the curves dampen the waves a little more, but the place can get dusty, and blankets are a good source of mildew and a potential fire hazard if coating a whole room.
    Finishing the walls with a drywall/sheetrock in a room that size (35x35ft-ish, 25ft tall) is time consuming (can't interrupt production, we're working overtime as is), and honestly they wouldn't be taken care of anyway.

So question is- what do you guys recommend?

Noise transmitted via vibration can be a tough nut to crack. There are solutions out there but these are costly and will (most likely) halt production whilst they are installed. Are you trying to reduce the machine vibration, vibration transmitted thru the structure or both?

The easiest solution would be to hang a shelf somewhere with a couple of pairs of ear defenders on it and stipulate that anyone entering these areas must wear the correct PPE.

I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    The easiest solution would be to hang a shelf somewhere with a couple of pairs of ear defenders on it and stipulate that anyone entering these areas must wear the correct PPE.
    x2
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Banned
    Our industrial soundproofing products are available as industrial wall panels, ceiling ... If you have a room or a hall that is plagued by poor acoustics or problems ...

Ways to Reduce Noise in Factories
    Isolate or enclose the noise: One way to reduce noise is to enclose the equipment that is the loudest. ... For example, a machine can be placed near a wall covered in foam panels to help absorb the noise.