Thread: large square drive dimensions

horstr1

large square drive dimensions

Hello all,

I saw a post recently on a similar topic I was trying to tag my question onto, but I can't find it now.

I need to make a part that will essentially act like a socket, and fit onto a 2-1/2" square drive hydraulic wrench. I found a page here that covers up to 1-1/2" square drives, but I can't find anything on larger ones. Anybody know of specs for what dimensions I need to use for the square hole, and where to put the hole for the ball detent? Thanks.

Welcome to Engineers Edge!

I would just scale the dimensional data from http://www.engineersedge.com/hardwar...rive-tools.htm.

horstr1
    Thanks, that is already my backup plan. Just hoping I can get some help with a plan "A."

I don't think a 2-1/2" drive uses a spring and ball to hold it on. I'm pretty sure it'd be a steel C-ring in a groove.
    Snap-On customer service ought to be able to answer your questions. Worst case... If you need to make a "funky" or oddball socket... you could buy the cheapest 2-1/2" drive socket out there and duplicate its dimensions. The 2-1/2" aspect isn't critical... If this is a one time or rarely used situation and this socket of yours can be held in place easily (not overhead) you could just put a 2.510-2.520 square in the back of it and skip the holding ring?

horstr1
    Actually, my application is a very large cap nut. It goes on a 5-inch Acme-threaded stud. The problem is it's too close to some other stuff. In the state I inherited it in, it has a 5-inch external hex on top, and there's not enough clearance on one side to get a socket onto it. Plus, FEA says it has some high stress points at the 45000 ft-lb torque I need to put on it. Things will work much better if I change it to either a hex socket head, or make it directly fit the hydraulic torque wrench drive. The ones I've seen that can apply that range of torque use the 2-1/2" drive, so that's where I'm at.
    Lately, I'm starting to lean more towards a hex socket as a simpler answer overall instead of the square drive. I can choose what size hex to use, and choose the depth, then just use an adapter for whatever wrench will be used.
    Thanks for the input, though.