Thread: Is this 10:1 ratio correct...can you help me?

Associate Engineer

Is this 10:1 ratio correct...can you help me?

not an engineer but i think this is right....please confirm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

th88,
    Since you are desperate enough to post the same post twice, despite being given the complete information the first time, I'll give Kelly a rest and have a go at it. Do you know the difference between force and torque? Do you know how force creates torque? if so, you can calculate the torque on the 20" wheel from the 1500# load. Can you do that? If you can, then just apply the ratio to determine the torque on the small gear.

Associate Engineer

this is my rationale

Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    th88,
    Since you are desperate enough to post the same post twice, despite being given the complete information the first time, I'll give Kelly a rest and have a go at it. Do you know the difference between force and torque? Do you know how force creates torque? if so, you can calculate the torque on the 20" wheel from the 1500# load. Can you do that? If you can, then just apply the ratio to determine the torque on the small gear.
    The 1500# load is on the cable drums 20 inch dia.
    To lift load, an greater than 1500# must be exerted on the opposite side of the cable drum.
    If the 2 inch diameter pinion drive dear is 10:1 ratio to the cable drum, a force slightly greater than 150# will lift the load
    Since the pinion lever arm radius is 1 inch, a torque slight greater than 150 in/lb will move the load.
    Right????

Associate Engineer
    To lift load, an greater than 1500# must be exerted on the opposite side of the cable drum.
    If the 2 inch diameter pinion drive dear is 10:1 ratio to the cable drum, a force slightly greater than 150# will lift the load
    Since the pinion lever arm radius is 1 inch, a torque slight greater than 150 in/lb will move the load.
    Right????

Quote Originally Posted by th888 View Post
    Right????
    Not quite....

The gear ratio is equal to 20/2 or 10:1. Output divided by input - the small gear is driving the large gear to lift the 1500 lb load..

Gear ratio = diameter out/diameter in

10 = diameter out/diameter in

and

Torque out = lbs x (radius in)

Torque out = 1500 lbs x 10 in = 15,000 lb-in

Again:
    (torque out)/(torque in) = 10

Using algebra
    Therefore:

15,000 lb-in/10 = torque in

1,500 lb-in = torque in (small gear)
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 11-15-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Don't forget that the torque and loading is actually applied at the gear pitch diameter.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.