Thread: Soft alloy (HV under 100) seeking

Associate Engineer

sleeping Soft alloy (HV under 100) seeking

Dear fellow engineers, does sombody know if there is such a thing as lead-free soft alloy (low hardness, probably HV ander 100) accessible of-the-shelf in form of sheets or patches with thickness about 0.010" (0.25 mm)?

1100 Aluminum shim stock...

Technical Fellow
    Fully annealed Copper sheet.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you. Will try to find. I guess I need something softer. Something like tin sheet, or tin-silver alloy. I need to squeeze it with screws between two flat aluminum surfaces to make joint water tight. However, it still has to be conductive.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I need to squeeze it with screws between two flat aluminum surfaces to make joint water tight. However, it still has to be conductive.
    What about this...
    Er, um, make that something other than copper washer as electrolysis will eat the aluminum it away. I missed the "aluminum" bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer
    There are some polymers now that are conductive. They are even flexible and make decent gaskets.... Try a custom compounder. They even have molding presses that can run off samples and maybe you could get one of the samples and modify for your application....

Associate Engineer
    Thanks a lot to everyone. I accidently found a solution. GHood luck to all of you.