Thread: Attach Copper Washer to Bike Wheel to pass electrical current via Carbon Brush

Associate Engineer

Attach Copper Washer to Bike Wheel to pass electrical current via Carbon Brush

I want to light up my bike tire with pretty led lights, and I want to have a convenient removable / interchangeable power supply. I could put the battery pack inside the wheel along with the electrical components, but even I can figure that out. What I need to know is if Engineers can really do the impossible stuff I heard about.

The idea:
    Take 4 of these copper washers, and attach them to both sides of both wheels on my bicycle.

Once installed I want to attach these carbon motor brushes to ride on the copper washers as I ride. One side of the wheel will conduct + voltage, the other side of the wheel would have - voltage to complete my circuit.

The problem is I have no idea how I could get a copper ring to adhere to my wheel / spokes, any ideas? Any idea on what kind of person I contact to do something like that? I'm completely out of my depth. Like what type of business would one look up in the phone book for this type of work?

I am curious to know how you would go about it and not just the type of business to call, at least then i'll know if i'm getting ripped off when I explain what I need done.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 12-07-2015 at 06:53 AM.