Thread: standards/masters

NeelyDummi

standards/masters

I've come across some master setting rings all marked with either of the following; AR, MR, or SR.
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 11-08-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Technical Fellow
    Do you have a question?

Thinking their question was probably "What do theses letters on these things mean?"

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say the first is an "Arkansas Ring" The second is a "Mister Ring" and the Third a "Senior Ring." (Joke... get it?)

Could be an "in-house code" of some sort? From what I recall... Gage classes... that specify a range of tolerances depending on diameter and what direction the tolerances go, are called out something like ZZZ - ZZ - Z - X - XX - XXX - Y - YY or something like that. Never saw a MR or SR or AR so can't help you. Maybe somebody out there has heard of these designations?

Technical Fellow
    Hmmm, there was a big cartoon pic at the bottom and I deleted it. Innocuous enough as a picture or cartoon, but being suspicious, I immediately did a full scan on my computer and Security Essentials found and removed a network worm Win32/Backterra.J. Still checking other computers on the network that were live at that time, but I suspect that was a malicious virus-laden posting.

Here's a link to the Microsoft Security site...
    http://tinyurl.com/77ake8u
    or the full thing if you (one) don't trust TinyURL http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...tid=2147624042
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 11-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hmmm, there was a big cartoon pic at the bottom and I deleted it. Innocuous enough as a picture or cartoon, but being suspicious, I immediately did a full scan on my computer and Security Essentials found and removed a network worm Win32/Backterra.J. Still checking other computers on the network that were live at that time, but I suspect that was a malicious virus-laden posting.

Here's a link to the Microsoft Security site...
    http://tinyurl.com/77ake8u
    or the full thing if you (one) don't trust TinyURL http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...tid=2147624042
    Big cartoon where? Was it on this forum?

Technical Fellow
    Yup. there was about a full page of white space below that first sentence in that original post on the setting rings in this thread, then a large JPG. It looked suspicious so I threw myself on the sword and selected the pic and deleted it, then backspaced out the white space. There could also have been text in the white space using white font color to make it appear invisible. Well, actually not appear.

That's why I immediately did a scan of my system. It is not impossible for a JPEG pic to carry some actionable code when Javascript is turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Yup. there was about a full page of white space below that first sentence in that original post on the setting rings in this thread, then a large JPG. It looked suspicious so I threw myself on the sword and selected the pic and deleted it, then backspaced out the white space. There could also have been text in the white space using white font color to make it appear invisible. Well, actually not appear.

That's why I immediately did a scan of my system. It is not impossible for a JPEG pic to carry some actionable code when Javascript is turned on.
    Interesting; only one person could have placed that line there...