Thread: Need help determining shape and stress.

Associate Engineer

Need help determining shape and stress.

I am having some serious trouble, I'm in the design phase of building a desk with a full blown Personal Computer inside under a glass top, I have the design down and I know exactly what I want, I just need some help with measurements and knowing how much stress will be put upon the legs. The body is going to consist of solid wood about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

The base/bottom is going to be 5ftx3.5ft

sides are 3.5ftx1.5ft

and the front/back are going to be 5ftx1.5ft

the top will be open so I can coordinate a way to place glass on top

With all the parts of the P.C. and the glass along with the full body, I expect it to be around 45~52 lbs

I want to build the legs in the shape of an hourglass. (Two legs, left and right) I want the to be 4.5ftx3.5ft (Height*Width) discounting the concave of the hourglass. it would look approximate to two triangles overlapping each other. Considering the shape is made of 4 right triangles I need to know the length of the concave on each side. (overlap I speculate is about a foot)

I also need to determine the thickness and type of wood based on how much stress would be induced.

Any help is appreciated, I can post a picture of my schematics as so far if need be, thank you!

Associate Engineer

More infos

Quote Originally Posted by kydary View Post
    I am having some serious trouble, I'm in the design phase of building a desk with a full blown Personal Computer inside under a glass top, I have the design down and I know exactly what I want, I just need some help with measurements and knowing how much stress will be put upon the legs. The body is going to consist of solid wood about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

The base/bottom is going to be 5ftx3.5ft

sides are 3.5ftx1.5ft

and the front/back are going to be 5ftx1.5ft

the top will be open so I can coordinate a way to place glass on top

With all the parts of the P.C. and the glass along with the full body, I expect it to be around 45~52 lbs

I want to build the legs in the shape of an hourglass. (Two legs, left and right) I want the to be 4.5ftx3.5ft (Height*Width) discounting the concave of the hourglass. it would look approximate to two triangles overlapping each other. Considering the shape is made of 4 right triangles I need to know the length of the concave on each side. (overlap I speculate is about a foot)

I also need to determine the thickness and type of wood based on how much stress would be induced.

Any help is appreciated, I can post a picture of my schematics as so far if need be, thank you!

Hi Kydary,

Please post a picture of your idea and add up the possible forces which will stress the future table.

Please put some dimensions and how the parts will be connected.

Regards,

Ariel