Thread: Calculating the rise of a beam beyond it's support

Associate Engineer

Calculating the rise of a beam beyond it's support

Here's the issue. I have a simple beam (square bar) that sits on a flat on either end. It is used to support parts in a chrome tank. Neither end is fixed, the beam just sits on a copper bar on either end. The concern is that as the weight of the parts increases (looking at two parts, 2800lbs a piece) the bars start to bend. As the center of the bar starts to bend down from the force, the ends will start to bend up. As they start to bend up, contact is lost increasing the resistance of the current flow needed in the plating process. Finding a formula to calculate maximum deflection does not seem to be a problem. I can't seem to find an example calculating how much the ends will rise though. Any assistance would be appreciated.

There are also formulas (on this website) that can give you the deflection at any point along the length of the beam.

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Or you could always fall back on real world testing.

Or once you plotted enough points to draw a deflection diagram, continue past the 0 point with your curve and measure from there. As with anything, once you're happy, measure it again.

To be honest though, unless your bar is significantly undersized for the job, the end displacement should be barely perceptible.