Thread: Name of component?

Associate Engineer

Name of component?

First of all, new to forum. Hello, all! I'm not an engineer, but have multiple ideas for inventions that I'd like to act on. Having read free engineering design "classes", I learned, among other things, that if you can incorporate components that are already produced and in common sizes you can save a lot of production costs over producing the component yourself. The problem? I don't know what to call the component in a search. So here we go; Basically the component is simply a cylinder within a cylinder whereas the center cylinder can be turned within the outer and in the process of turning it also moves up in relation to the outer cylinder. specifically looking for .25 to .5 in. lift/90 degree turn. Make sense?

Sounds like a screw type connection. You might search linear actuators. Are you describing and existing device you've seen? What was the context?

You might want to look at "twist Clamp" or "Rotary Clamp" or "Swing Clamp" cylinders. There are folks out there making relatively inexpensive clamping cylinders that swing out of the way when retracted.

Beyond that it sounds like you're looking for a very coarse ACME or square thread... or ball screw, with one thread per inch for your 1/4 @ 90 degree or a half thread per inch for your 1/2" lift at a quarter turn. Or a thread system of something between 1 TPI to 1/2 TPI.

Associate Engineer
    It's very difficult to explain the context without throwing my invention concept out for all to see. I know I've seen examples of what I'm envisioning at some point in my life, but not sure when or where. It's also difficult to translate to engineers when I don't speak the jargon. A big thank you to y'all for trying to help! The piece would not be industrial. Small scale, maybe (could be way off) a cylinder 3/4 in. deep and 1 in. diameter. The outer cylinder would be stationary. The inner cylinder would be turned by hand via a "lever" or "grip" attached from underneath. This turning motion would cause the top part of the central cylinder to move directly up without turning (Center cylinder would obviously have to be horizontally bisected and both halves on separate threads or tracks), to engage or disengage main component. Again thanks for your help and patience!

Associate Engineer
    I almost picture the central cylinder more as a silicone based plastic with metal inserts, while the outer is metallic.

Associate Engineer
    A guess a very simple, compact linear actuator would be the closest description I could come up with from all those options, but it has to be hand operated (not electromagnetic), very compact and completely linear, as in no gearing off to the side.

Sounds like what you are after is a small version of a simple manual crank trailer jack. Look them up.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Sounds like what you are after is a small version of a simple manual crank trailer jack. Look them up.
    Exactly jboggs! As long as the crank is on top, in line with the "piston action", and much smaller and flatter. Thank you very much! Now there has to be components such as I'm seeking. The trick is, what are they called?

Trailer jacks.
    Kidding, but that's what they're called. I'm not aware of any jacks smaller than about 1.75" OD. Search for miniature manual jacks and see what you find. Do you know how much load this device must carry? And how much total travel you're after? Will there be any side loading at all? Those questions will be critical.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Trailer jacks.
    Kidding, but that's what they're called. I'm not aware of any jacks smaller than about 1.75" OD. Search for miniature manual jacks and see what you find. Do you know how much load this device must carry? And how much total travel you're after? Will there be any side loading at all? Those questions will be critical.

Looked up mini trailer jacks, no dice. I P.M.ed you with what I'm up to, to perhaps spur some ideas. I could probably fabricate (I think) a rough sample of the component and post pics, or video of it operating. another option I have is that there's a huge warehouse close by that does a lot of buyouts. They have just about anything and everything you could think of, from vintage computers/controllers to deep fryers to lab equipment, motors/generators of every size, probably a quarter mile of shelving with nothing but transistors, resistors, etc. It really is a cool place, a paradise for inventors. I may head down there this weekend. If y'all know anybody looking for hard to find items, let me know and I'll look around for you.