Thread: Handling parts off of lasers sharing material towers.

Associate Engineer

Handling parts off of lasers sharing material towers.

Hello
    After a career as a Whitney plasma and laser operator, I was hired as an engineer at our newly acquired Georgia plant. 2nd week. Lol. Deep WCM background. Here is my dilemma. I am in charge of 6 lasers. Each two lasers share a material loader/tower. Currently the process is ONE operator runs all 6 lasers. (ugg) He occasionally has an assistant. As the finished sheets come out, they (the cut parts in the skeleton) are stacked up until they can go to shake out. There are 3 to 4 people who "shake-out" the nested parts. So, first in, first out is laughable.
    There's gotta be a better process. We acquired an existing company. Mom n Pop shop that has grown to $30mill a year. Scheduled for $100 mill in 2018. So, a lot of culture shock for them, as our parent company is worth over $3 billion.
    Can anyone who has had similar layouts offer any suggestions for a better process?
    Any help to this fledgling 48yr old new engineer is gratefully appreciated!!
    Thank you!

Principle Engineer
    Shake out seems to be your bottle neck from the brief description (3-4 people required).

There is a 'shake out operation in many foundries. The casting(s) is suspended and an air powered vibrator shakes the mould sand off the casting. Can you develop a sheet lifting device that does the vibrating?