Thread: Box steel or angle iron ?

Associate Engineer

Box steel or angle iron ?

Hello everyone.
    I am building a camper on a 4x8 trailer bed.
    I want the wooden box, to be connected to a steel frame, that I can bolt to the bed of the trailer, when I want to camp, and unbolt, and store, so I can use the trailer for other things.
    As you probably know , these boxes when made of just wooden framing , start falling apart as soon as you drive off.
    I am thinking of using 2"x2" x 1/4 " angle iron, welded into a rectangle, to bolt the 3/4 inch plywood shell to.
    Will this be strong enough to keep everything together, or do I need box steel 2x2 x 1/4 ?I don't want to overbuild the thing and have it weigh a ton , but I want it a bit more than just enough also.
    Something in the middle.
    Thanks very much, Bill
    The dimensions are 4 feet wide by 4 feet tall by 8 feet long.

ERSA's should be OK for providing a stable connection to the trailer base but I wouldn't use it for the framework. Angles can need quite a bit of bracing to prove stability. For a 2" ERSA you'll be limited to a 12mm bolt (~0.47") to maintain edge distance and leave suitable clearance from the root radius of the angle. You could push that to a 14mm (~ 0.55") but that wont leave you a lot of play and will probably be overkill for this kind of application.

Usual disclaimer:-

This is advice only and not basis for design.

Happy camping.