Thread: How to solve the "last mile" issue in traffic

Associate Engineer

How to solve the "last mile" issue in traffic

I am currently working on an innovation research project on how to solve the so called "last mile" issue in traffic at the Vienna University of Business and Economics. The "last mile" issue is the fact that it's often difficult and inconvenient to get from the public transport station to your home or office without using a private car.

I'd really like to hear your opinion about the topic. What could be a good solution? Do you have your own innovative ideas or concepts concerning personal mobility devices? Do you know a person who is very active in that field and maybe has already developed some technical solutions or interesting concepts?

I'm looking forward to your replies.

Thanks and best wishes from Vienna!

Sebastian

Well, don't read me wrong however this seems trivial?

Let's see:

Bicycle
    Unicycle
    Roller Skates

Are you looking for thought on public or personal transportation?

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Bicycle
    Unicycle
    Roller Skates
    Almost there Kelly,
    Powered Bicycle
    Powered Unicycle
    Powered Roller Skates

The transportation could have a roll up solar panel. Transportation is left in the secure commute parking lot, with unrolled panel to charge the batteries while at work. There should be enough "juice" left for a return trip to the parking lot in the morning. Easy to say for me being in AZ, where we get 340+ days of full sunshine per year.

A powered unicycle? Sounds like a recipe for destruction!

Ron.

Technical Fellow
    Taking the term literally, a unicycle does not have to be a stick with a seat on one end and a wheel on the other.

http://blog.wfmu.org/photos/uncatego...nowheel_03.jpg

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Well, don't read me wrong however this seems trivial?

Let's see:
    Bicycle
    Unicycle
    Roller Skates
    Are you looking for thought on public or personal transportation?
    hey,

i dont think that it is a trivial issue. consider that:
    generally i think bikes could be a solution for the last mile issue, however there are just some limitations:

1.) size: true that there are folding bikes, but ive hardly ever seen some on the road. and if you take an ordinary bike, they are often not allowed on buses or metros.
    2.) storage on public transport devices: even if avaiblable, storing three to four bikes in baskets at the front of each bus is not going to lead to a sharp increase in the number of public transport users
    3.) storage at hubs: a big issue is vandalism or robbery: would you leave your bike at the public transport station?
    4.) convenience: what if you have to carry smaller boxes or grocery stuff, or if you are old and biking gets exhausting, in both cases most people just turn to their cars instead. Or even a more simple example: people often just dont want to walk or cycle the distance to the public transport station (especially in suburban areas, i guess a big issue in US cities and depending on the weather conditions)

If you look at the status of today, there just too many people who dont see a their last mile issue solved by bikes => means that there must be either a boost in the attractivness of bikes by improved infrastructure or innovation concerning the vehicle you intend to ride.

What do you think? Do you have ideas of how to adapting e.g. bikes to make them more convenient? Or have you thought of an entirely new personal mobility device?
    And do you know somebody, who is actively trying to solve that last mile issue, to whom you could refer me to?

So, i think the question if you consider it closely isnt that trivial

Thanks for your ideas,
    Seb.

Android
    Surely this one has already been done ....minimal physical exertion....convenient...compact.....convenient renewable energy source

http://www.segway.com/

This is the way I handle my last mile... and most all of my mile issues.
    Attachment 128
    It's very simple and effective and easy to maintain. (unlike the newer versions of same) The lack of power steering or power brakes and a stiff clutch spring, helps keep me in shape some. There's plenty of room to haul my lunch etc. in it and even enough room to bring my dog along. Goes well up and down hills and doesn't have issues in the snow. With approximately 60 gallon capacity via two saddle tanks and a tank behind the seat my nearly 9mpg also becomes a non issue...!

But seriously...
    In towns or heavily developed areas I suppose coming up with something to entice folks to leave their cars at home could possibly be a good thing? Course then you'd be keeping people from spending on cars and fuel and insurance and all the jazz that goes with the good old vehicle mode. What effect might that have on the economy?

Technical Fellow
    Heresy I say Bob, heresy. Shame, shame, shame, gas guzzling 9-mpg.

If there is one thing I can hope to do is to heap shame on you. I am doing my bit for both the environment and the economy. I drive an efficient late model (1995) vehicle that does 12-mpg.

I love my 360-ci Dodge truck. Computer, power steering, power everything, auto-trans, and all, hell I even have a power tailgate on it. I am old, I am lazy! The BBD (my dog) loves it too. Doing 80-mph, yes it is legal in AZ, tachis sitting 2100rpm and all is at peace with the World.

It's a bit cold here at the moment, had to use a hammer to break that big icicle at the front...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 12-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.