Thread: Profile start and stop

Associate Engineer

Profile start and stop

Hello,

Based on the attached picture where does the profile tolerance start and stop? I am looking to define this per asme y 14.5 m-1994 pdf . Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-03-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Follow the arrow left and right along the surface - first illustrated sharp edge is the stop/start.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you Kelly. I am looking for a clear definition in the
    14.5 spec. I cannot find where it defines a start and stop point.

paragraph 6.5 and 6.5.3. Figures 6-15 and others illustrate the concept. Most use the from - to concept..

Associate Engineer
    This is great. Thank you. Now where does it define a sharp corner?

Quote Originally Posted by darrellt View Post
    This is great. Thank you. Now where does it define a sharp corner?
    ? As illustrated by the drawing graphics. Your question is very basic.. What is your background and training in drafting and blueprint reading?

You should consider purchasing my book: Geometric Boundaries II, Interpretation and Application of ASME Y14.5-2009

Also, consider signing up for one of my GD&T training seminars
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-02-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    ? As illustrated by the drawing graphics. Your question is very basic.. What is your background and training in drafting and blueprint reading?

You should consider purchasing my book: Geometric Boundaries II, Interpretation and Application of ASME Y14.5-2009

Also, consider signing up for one of my GD&T training seminars
    Thank you for all your help. I have a pretty good handle on GD&T. I am really trying to focus on this particular profile tolerance to help clarify the start and stop points with some of my peers. As you can see in the drawing from where the leader lines are pointing to the ends of each, top line has radius at each end. And the bottom line has .100 x .100 angles. So the underlying question is does the profile extend out past these radius (top line) and angles ( bottom line). I will definitely entertain the idea of your publications. Again thank you for all the insite you have provided thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellt View Post
    Thank you for all your help. I have a pretty good handle on GD&T. I am really trying to focus on this particular profile tolerance to help clarify the start and stop points with some of my peers.
    Well, the question has been answered... Unless otherwise specified "Sharp Edges" between surface features designate start and stop locations for profile features. A sharp edge definition will not be in a Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard as this is a basic drafting concept.

In many of the examples within the extremely old standard you're using (year published 1994 current standard 2009) the start and stop location for the Profile of Surface tolerances are defined using start and stop point or designations A <----------> B. In absence - use sharp edges. Think of a profile surface feature as a collection of individual surface features having tangent transitions between them. When a sharp edge transition between features is encountered the profile surface ends.

Since I was first certified by ASME as a Senior GD&T Professional back in 1997 (re-certified many-many times) I have trained thousands of folks just like you to several GD&T standards all over the world. Moreover, I've written five published books on the subject.

Your organization should seriously consider training to the latest standard (this would help interpretation and application knowledge on 1994 standard as well).