Thread: removing raised floor level

Associate Engineer

removing raised floor level

My friends home has a "split level" raised area of the house between the first and second floors. They would like to remove this middle level. There is a concrete floor below the raised area that is at the level of the first floor so it seems simple to just remove the intermediate level and extend the stair strait from the first to the second floor. Here is the question. The Beams supporting the intermediate level extend into the exterior wall they are not just bolted on so the question is can they just cut the 8" beam where it meets the exterior wall without compromising the structural integrity of the exterior wall that is supporting the roof???

To be honest, if this was me, I'd remove the beam completely and fill the pocket with mass concrete. Making sure that it is well rammed in so no voids exist between the existing brickwork and the new concrete. Your best bet would be to consult with a local engineer that is familiar will your states building codes and take it from there because you'll also need to look at the existing trimmer beam supporting the second flight from half landing to second floor.

Good luck
    Last edited by Cake of Doom; 03-03-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: i don't feel very well

Associate Engineer
    Sorry misrepresented. Exterior wall is also wood framing the beam is going into another wood vertical beam

In that case I really would consult with a local engineer. Depending on how the structure has been designed, the timber frame might not like being cut and pulled about.