Thread: Sheet Metal Design and Manufacturing

Associate Engineer

Sheet Metal Design and Manufacturing

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the sheet metal design and manufacturing industry and wanted your inputs, if this attached design can be fabricated using stainless steel 304 sheet metal. Most importantly the radial grooves is a big concern and whether or not this can be achieved.

Please see attachment. Appreciate all you inputs.

Thanks
    Iyengar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (20.7 KB, 27 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (15.1 KB, 26 views)

Associate Engineer
    Hello,

I have some experience working with sheet metal in a couple of job shops. First of all- What are the dimensions and tolerances for the part? How thick is the metal? How many parts would have to be made?

Either way, this particular part would be a nightmare to make out of sheet metal. I suppose, in theory, it could be done, involving some fancy tooling and complicated operations, but the radial grooves, in particular, would be very problematic. So much so, that, I think, in practice, you might as well call it impossible to manufacture and just switch to making this on a lathe. Further still, the way you have those grooves made right now, I think this part is impossible even in theory, unless you invent a new method of manufacturing. Again, it all depends on the required precision. If any old groove will do, then it's quite doable.

Still though, if you don't plan on making thousands of these, you should just make the part on a lathe- it would be much cheaper.

Why are you considering sheet metal in the first place ?

This component can be manufacturing using a process called "Spinning". One can utilize this process for low and high volume requirements.

See the following videos..

Vertical multi-groove pulley spinning manufacturing

Manufacturing Pulley Vertical Spinning Machine

Hydraulic dish end spinning manufacturing

Also, you can design do's and don't, mechanical tolerances, etc. here:

Design for Manufacture-ability and Assembly, DFA DFM (Requires a Premium Membership)
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Wow, that is quite impressive. I've heard of spinning before, but the last video was something new to me. It's like a cnc bead roller .

Still, wouldn't you need custom spinning tools for the part? Wouldn't the large flange at the bottom cause some difficulties?