Thread: DIY advice please, for a Non-Engineer!

Chuzal

DIY advice please, for a Non-Engineer!

Hi guys,

Newbie here so I hope im asking this in the correct section and you guys will be able to help me.

Ive not long moved into a quirky house which has a double height living room, from which the stairs and landing to the upstairs bedrooms run off!! (will add some pictures)

What i would like to do is to extend/continue the landing into the alcove (darker coloured wall with the light on) so i am able to have some sort of desk in the alcove recess and therefore removing the computer out of one of the rooms, returning it to a bedroom.

My question is, what would be the best, strongest, most supportive way of doing this?

The current landing is constructed from the floor joists in the bedrooms protruding past/through the bedroom wall. (continuation of the bedroom floor joists)

My two thoughts are to... plant a ledger onto/into the alcove wall (neighbouring wall) where i can hang joist hangers and joints from, between the ledger and the last of the landing joists?

Or, more likely idea, i was thinking i could extend the other bedroom joists by sistering them and extend them through the wall, in the same way the original landing is constructed.
    Would sistering be strong enough? How long would you sister the joint? the whole length of the joist? What sort of bolting pattern would be best? How many bolts? what size spacing between the bolts?

The new landing will need to be extended 7ft long, into the alcove, by 30 inches wide.

The small bit of wall under the landing you can see in the first two pictures is a concrete lintel and the wall on you left in the last picture is studded.

Technical Fellow
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

IF that corner post for the landing balustrade went to the floor, the project would be simple enough for me to offer some construction design. The concrete lintel may be near it's maximum load or not, it is unknown without quite a bit of calculation. Extending the landing, while a good idea, needs to be done safely and I really do not think this is a DIY project as it stands.

If you can get the original drawings and give them to an architect, I am sure he/she would be able to figure out something in under an hour. Then it might become a DIY project.