Thread: Degrees included in feature control frame for flatness

Associate Engineer

Degrees included in feature control frame for flatness

Hello,

On a drawing from a customer we are quoting for, there are a couple places where in the feature control frame for flatness, after the amount, has a slash, then a number of degrees. So, flatness symbol, .002/15 degrees, or .002/45 degrees. They are flatness of datums, but I've never seen and don't know what the number of degrees is supposed to specify. Can anyone help me on this?

Just an FYI, I would contact the customer, however our sales guy is out and he has all the contact info and I need to get this quote finished...

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by acncguy; 03-09-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acncguy View Post
    So, flatness symbol, .002/15 degrees, or .002/45 degrees. They are flatness of datums, but I've never seen and don't know what the number of degrees is supposed to specify.
    No such specification is exists in ASME 14.5-2009. There is a flatness per unit length but not per degree.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe they were trying to convey .002 flatness per quadrant on the 45 degree one and every 15 degrees on the other one. Not sure, but that's what I'm going with for now lol. These feature control frames are attached to round surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by acncguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe they were trying to convey .002 flatness per quadrant on the 45 degree one and every 15 degrees on the other one. Not sure, but that's what I'm going with for now lol. These feature control frames are attached to round surfaces.
    I would recommend you asking for clarity from the engineering drawing originator - in writing.

It appears that training is required in the engineering drawing creators organization.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.