Thread: Source for Tolerances and Shaft (Mis) Alignment

Associate Engineer

Source for Tolerances and Shaft (Mis) Alignment

I am looking for a source for the amount of shaft misalignment permissible and how it relates to binding. E.g. If I have two 1/2" diameter shafts each positioned 6" +- .005 apart that are inserted through two holes 1" deep how much can the shafts be misaligned before binding occurs?

It seems like you could at least come up with a geometric solution to it fairly easily. However, it seems like it's a common enough problem that there should be a chart for it somewhere? What about an overconstrained situation i.e. 3 shafts?

Are you talking about two concentric shafts? One driving the other through a coupling? Why so far apart? I'm just confused. Maybe a diagram would help. If you're talking about a commercial coupling, they have specs to go by for this purpose.

Associate Engineer
    I'm referring to a linear bearing setup similar to the one shown below. Dowel pins are the closest solution that I have seen. However, Dowel pins are typically much shorter than what I want to use here and as a result, I typically ignore the length.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ppeetteerr; 03-18-2016 at 08:39 AM.

To my knowledge there is no such industry standard or data available that defines binding vs misalignment...

Industry standard mechanical tolerances are either based on functional requirements or manufacturing process capability.. We design mechanical tolerances appropriately...

The closest extrapolation you might find is an FN, LN or LC fit per. ASME/ANSI 4.1.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.