Thread: New to GD & T, Need help to solve a question.

Associate Engineer

New to GD & T, Need help to solve a question.

Hi Everyone.

I am new to GD & T and new to this forum too. Can you guys help me out?

We need to have a numerical/heuristic/algorithmic model to stack plates Pi (i=1...n) of 30x30cm each with a thickness of 5mm side by side completely covering a vertical surface S of 2m height and 10m length. The surface deviation tolerance of of the surface S is +-2mm. The constraints are that the final surface formed by stacking the plates would be within a surface deviation tolerance range of +-0.5mm. The plates need not attach directly to the surface S and can be attached to S using a positioning system/device if required as long as the maximum distance between the plate and wall is less then 10cm. You are free to consider/propose any method that may be employed to solve the problem as long as the final solution is within the constraints.

What I need is a solution that carries general approach or methodology to solve the problem, followed by any hardware/software development needed to implement an automated/semi automated solution.

I think an image or more would be helpful on this one...
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Project Engineer
    Hmm..... homework?

Associate Engineer
    Can this problem be solved with the help of tolerance stack up techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner21 View Post
    Can this problem be solved with the help of tolerance stack up techniques?
    Probably.. However, it is not clear to what your question/challenge is.

How about an image?

Maybe the following calculator will help See:

Assembly Tolerance Analysis Calculator

and

Geometric Tolerance Analysis and Calculators

Associate Engineer
    Right now It is difficult for me to draw an image for this problem. I can explain it in simple words

There is a vertical surface like a wall with the dimensions of 10m x 2m. This surface has surface deviation of +-2mm. Now small plates of dimension 30cm x 30cm x 5 will be stacked on this surface completely covering it. There can be a gap between the vertical surface and the smaller plates but it should not be larger than 10cm (for positioning system if required). The constraint is that after stacking the smaller plates, a combined surface will form, the surface deviation of this combined surface should be +-0.5mm.

We need to develop an algorithm to solve this problem

We need to develop an algorithm to solve this problem
    I doubt it...

The constraint is that after stacking the smaller plates, a combined surface will form, the surface deviation of this combined surface should be +-0.5mm.
    Again, you continue to supply insufficient information.. I'm going to throw a few darts...

1) Manufacture the smaller plates with extra material thickness, say .020". Then post machine the assembly as a matched set. Assuming Aluminum, steel of similar material the accuracy can be around .001".

2) Manufacture each of the stacking components to not greater than +/- (0.5 divided by number of parts). This should assure dimensional conformance.

3) Design and build a conformance and assembly fixture that limits and verifies stacking size, form and tolerance variability. Reject parts and assemblies as required.

4) Consider GD&T Training, DFM/DFA Training or purchase one of my books on ASME Y14.5-2009 as well as Engineering Design for Manufacture-ability and Assembly.

5) Consider becoming an Engineers Edge Premium Membership where you can get access to tools and all of the books referenced above.